Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Coconut Curry

This is quickly becoming a food focused blog... oh well. In a month or so I might be over food for awhile and move on to something else.

Last night I decided to surprise my partner with something he has wanted to try to make at home for months now. Squash Coconut Curry. I made a delicious allergy friendly version from scratch with no recipe and it turned out absolutely DELICIOUS! Here is the recipe:

Abby's Squash Coconut Curry with Chicken
you need:

  • 1 butternut squash- cooked and mashed
  • 3 medium carrots- cooked and mashed
  • 1 can coconut milk (I use organic)
  • 1 lb. chicken (I use thighs), cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 tbsp. vegetable oil of choice (to cook chicken)
  • 1 large red bell pepper, diced or julienne
  • 1 zucchini, cubed or julienne
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
  • 4-6 medium cloves garlic, diced
  • 2 tsp. curry powder (I used organic bulk)
  • 1/4 tsp (more or less to taste) ground red pepper or cayenne pepper (optional)
  • cooked Jasmine or Basmati rice
Cook chicken in a pan with oil. When chicken is about half way done add onion and garlic. In a separate large pot cook squash and carrots at medium low heat. When mixed well add coconut milk and curry powder. After about 10 minutes add the chicken with the garlic and onion. Then add red pepper and zucchini. Add ground red pepper if using. Simmer for 15 more minutes or until desirable consistency.
Serve over cooked rice.

This dish would probably also be delicious with mango added to it.

Feel free to add other veggies... I just used what I happened to have available. Could be made with beans instead of chicken- I think black beans would work best.

YUMMY DELICIOUSNESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment